caught by the VW bug?
Whilst living in Australia I tried out the camping-from-the-boot experience, looking jealous at the
super-duper vanagons that also stayed overnight in the bush, desert and highlands of remote Australia.
On return to Europe I soon fell in love with these dinky cars. Why? the sowing-machine noises from
the engine compartment? the clumsy look?
Or a vague sense of Sixties relic? I do not know.
Perhaps because you can make a cup of soup when caught in a traffic jam, or even have a quiet shit...
Perhaps because you can travel in the luxury of an ordinary car, yet camp anywhere as if you had a caravab..
Perhaps because it force you to ride your bike around the campsite arteas rather than park yoir fat bum in another carseat..
When we started the family, we soon caught the bug.
At first we revamped a Peugeot van during the summer months, but
then we caught sight of a genuine T3. It took us to Germany, Austria, Italy and back. Although we continually battled against rust,
engine trouble, fining LPG gasstations, electrical failure, there was a point in 2001
when we found we could no longer do what we wanted to do: move about.
We found Theo in Wageningen, we did us
a great deal on a 1996 T4 camper, and the price was reasonable. Unfortunately, only 3 months later this T4 was
stolen from our house, containing all camper gears and many toys the boys had collectd throughout the years.
Heartbroken we returned to Theo, who offered a high top T4 in return. Our first trip was to the locksmith to
get extra locks and fancy alarms fitted. This one took us towards France, Austria, Italy and Germany over 2002.
In 2003 we thrundled allong France properly, this time going to Avignon and surroundings,
and staying in various villages on the way. Nimes is good fun, but also wothwhile is Langres, where city campsite is found on
the parapets. Great sunsets.
In 2004 it was Austria and Switserland. Best spots were near Munter, with a ski lift nearby,
a great valley and of course a gold filled Rhine. Very popular spot with great trails.
But also stop on the various passes. Above the Rhone gletscher are plenty of spartan campspots,
allowing great views of the night and a close taste of fresh snow.
In 2005 we move house and probably will not move out far nor often.
VW hobby sites
- VW bus club in the Netherlands, with information on
technical aspects, buy-and-sell columns, various dealers, other VW lovers of the T1, T2, T3,
T4 and a few 5 types.
- NKC Kampeerauto club Dutch camper club
- Vw bus club
- Volkswagen campersite
- Volkswagen center in Netherlands
- T3 campers galore
- T4 site
- T4 site
- T4 en T5 Forum in Duitsland met tunerlist, busralleys, etc.
- veel camper links/a>
- Surf Bus grappige site over zwitserse postbus
die een camper werd,
- camper Forum in Duitsland, zelfs met radioprogramma.
T4 clubs, verkoop en aankoop, etc.
- Westfalia camper units in Germany, for original acessories.
- Brandup accessories for VW campers.
- Vw Bus siteon accessories, tuning, parts and the like, in Germany
- Automove ls
- US site on motor homes
- motor revision
Campers for sale/to buy
- Camper site buy and sells campers
- Camper and Caravan trader
- VW busclub has an exchange site as well.
- Auto trader car site
- Camper land Group
- Camper "unreal estate agent"
- T4 en T5 Forum in Duitsland met verkoop en aankoop, etc.
Back to top
- Camper spots in Europe
- Pictures of Camper spots in Europe Belgium,
Netherlands, Germany, Italy and France
- Travel bureaus
- Youth Hostels
- Touristisch Nederlands op het web
- Britain offers many attractions. Book ferries 60 days early for 20% discount on the steep ferry rates.
- USA camper hire in Eindhoven 040 211 3938
- New Zealand collection
- Australie collection
Back to top
Insurance, taxes and anti-theft devices
- Belastingdienst for cheaper road taxes
- Niet te starten stelen punt nl met info over autodiefstal, in
bouwbedrijven, beveiligingsystemen, info van de KLPD en de organisaties bij deze campagnes.
- Jack it anti hi-jack systeem om sleutelroof of car-napping tegen te
gaan. Werkt kinderlijk eenvoudig. Zodra de auto gescheiden is van de eigenaar stopt de motor.
For Comments, email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This page was accessed 346 times since it was first modified in Feb 2001
GO TO Ammerlaan's Homepage